What is Lifestyle Medicine?
Lifestyle medicine is an evidence-based approach to preventing, treating and even reversing diseases by replacing unhealthy behaviors with positive ones — such as eating healthfully, being physically active, managing stress, avoiding risky substance abuse, adequate sleep and having a strong support system.
Lifestyle Medicine is Anti-Aging Medicine
Healthy living is the best way to age gracefully and maintain our physical and cognitive function. It is the best anti-aging secret out there.
A Healthy Lifestyle is the Best Medicine
We know that most chronic diseases can be prevented or delayed by following a healthy lifestyle and getting regular health screenings. Six in ten Americans live with at least one chronic disease such as heart disease or diabetes, and these are a leading driver of health care costs.
Prevention is better than cure.
Why Lifestyle Medicine is so Important?
- Places a focus on evidence-based optimal nutrition, stress management, sleep and physical activity
- Educates, guides and supports positive behavior changes
- Encourages active patient participation
- Considers the patient’s home and community environment
- Uses medications as a supplement to therapeutic lifestyle changes
- Treats the underlying, lifestyle-related causes of disease
- Answer these questions to dig deeper into the root of your problems. Click Here
- Allows the body to protect and heal itself by promoting healthful lifestyle choices
Our patients are learning to focus on self-care, and they are feeling better and experiencing improved health outcomes.
I am learning to find balance and set boundaries in my life. I have come to realize that my fast paced, driven life has led to burning out my thyroid. I am healing my body and mind with healthy lifestyle habits. I am enjoying a healthy diet, incorporating sleep routines, and reducing stress. I have more energy, I am walking more and I have started a Pilates class.
I feel so hopeful and positive about my future now that I have incorporated the recommended lifestyle changes from Dr. Abraham and her Health Coach. In just three weeks I have lost weight, lowered my blood pressure and feel less pain in my body and my joints. I am starting to exercise and don’t feel short of breath anymore. The changes were not easy at first, but it feels more natural now.
I feel so much better about myself since making healthy changes and losing 22 pounds. The doctor was concerned about my high triglycerides but now they are in the more normal range. I am grateful for the guidance and support.